We, at Alcatraz, will go there at night.
So we will organize a real getaway to Alcatraz to visit the prison made famous by American films was one of our dreams.
The island is about 85,000 square meters and is primarily made up of rocks; for this reason, Alcatraz is also called The Rock. The prison was active from 1934 to 1963 and was famous for its conditions of maximum security which made it almost impossible to escape.
However, in the 29 years of prison activity, there have been 14 escape attempts – involving 36 detainees, but only Theodore Cole and Ralph Roe managed to escape in 1937. All other attempts failed spectacularly.
Many films were set on the island, and Alcatraz inspired some.
Here are the most famous (Wikipedia source)
- Alcatraz Man ( Birdman of Alcatraz, 1962 ) by John Frankenheimer with Burt Lancaster ;
- Sky of lead, Inspector Callaghan ( The Enforcer, 1976 ) by James Fargo with Clint Eastwood and Tyne Daly ;
- Escape from Alcatraz ( Escape from Alcatraz, 1979 ) by Don Siegel with Clint Eastwood ;
- The challenge of Alcatraz ( Six Against the Rock, 1987 ) by Paul Wendkos with David Carradine ;
- The island of injustice – Alcatraz ( Murder in the First, 1995 ) by Marc Rocco with Kevin Bacon, Christian Slater, and Gary Oldman ;
- The Rock ( The Rock, 1996 ) by Michael Bay with Sean Connery and Nicolas Cage ;
- Lupine III – Alcatraz Connection ( Rupan Sansei: Arukatorazu Konekushon, 2001 ) by Hideki Tonokatsu ;
- X-Men – Final Conflict ( X-Men: The Last Stand, 2006 ) by Brett Ratner with Patrick Stewart and Hugh Jackman ;
- Special infiltrator ( Half past dead, 2002 ) by Don Michael Paul with Steven Seagal ;
- Genesis Code ( The Book of Eli, 2010 ) by Albert and Allen Hughes with Denzel Washington and Gary Oldman ;
- Dogs & Cats – Kitty’s Revenge (Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore, 2010 ) by Brad Peyton with Chris O’Donnell ;
- Alcatraz I by Tommy Madsen 2012 with J. Pierce, J. Garcia, S. Jones.
The island can only be reached by sea and to visit the island and the prison you must book well in advance, or you risk not finding a place. Reservations open three months in advance of the date chosen for the visit. So if you plan to go to Alcatraz in April, keep in mind that reservations open in January.
There are several tours available to visitors. Three different daily tours for price and duration: ranging from the classic ticket from $ 39.90 to the most complete from $ 92.80. And then there’s the night tour, starting at 6 pm. The tour allows a visit of the island and the prison of 2 hours and 50 minutes, at night.
We have booked the night tour, and we can’t wait to see it! Booking the night ticket was essential for us to, because it will allow us to spend the whole day in San Francisco, and will allow us to visit the prison during the most suggestive hours.